Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Music, Wine, and Lots of Sunshine!!

2011 Good Vibrations Music Festival!
This past weekend I took a trip to the Gold Coast for the Good Vibrations Music Festival. It’s an annual festival here in Australia that features good music, drinks, and lots of partying. I must say, these Aussies know how to have a good time on account that everyone was wasted at this festival. This year there were many artists that attended the festival, such as Mike Posner, The Ting Tings, Faithless, Kelis, Erykah Badu, Nas and Damian Marley, and Ludacris. Everything was composed into different sections based on the genre of music. There was the Good Vibrations section, Roots section, Laundry section, Mr. J section, and the Star Bar section. It was such a hot day, 100 degrees to be exact, but that didn’t seem to stop people from drinking. The Nokia Dance Off tent was very popular at the festival and my favorite. Inside was '80s themed with a huge dance floor and DJ. There was a section for free slushies, fake tattoos, and even an area for massages! The DJ played lots of '80s and '90s hip hop while the crowd danced to the beats. There was a series of dance offs where people did everything from break dancing to pop locking. It was so much fun and quite entertaining, because not everyone knew how to dance and looked quite ridiculous. I headed to the Roots section and made my way towards the front when Erykah Badu came onto the stage. She did her thing and performed all of my favorite songs, such as Window Seat, Bag Lady, and Tyrone. When it was time for Nas and Damian Marley to hit the stage, more people showed up and the crowd became filled with dread heads, hippies and the smell of marijuana. The two did a great job and had a lot of deep songs about Africa, life, love and saving the world. The nice reggae beats created a very peaceful atmosphere. Nas did some of his hits, such as, "Nas is Like" and "Hip Hop is Dead" while Damian Marley did a few of his songs, such as "Welcome to Jammrock". Apparently Nas and Damian Marley have an album together, so it was cool to see them jam together. Damian Marley of course had to pay homage to his father, Bob Marley, and performed, "One Love". He sounded just like Bob Marley! My two friends and I managed to make our way to the front row for Ludacris, who was next after the duo. We were so excited, especially me because I had never been front row at a concert. The lights went black, and Ludacris began to chant, “LUDA, LUDA, LUDA!” off stage. Soon people, including myself, began to scream and jump up and down with excitement. All of a sudden the lights came up and Ludacris came onto the stage, looking very handsome. He and his hype man began to get the crowd moving, as Ludacris performed all his old hits such as "Fantasy", "Saturday", and "Area Codes". He then performed a lot of his more recent hits such as "Yeah" and "All I do is Win". The crowd had so much energy! He then performed "Move Bi**h" and "Get Back" which got the crowd pushing and shoving even more. Overall it was a great performance and I had the time of my life. My weekend at the Gold Coast was amazing. The area reminded me of Miami. The famous Surfers Paradise beach was amazing. My friends and I wanted to experience the nightlife in Gold Coast, and went to a club called, Shooters. It was a large club, with 4 rooms such as hip hop, techno, pop, and top 40 music. The clubs here are still something I’m trying to get used to. Australians listen to a lot of techno music, but with a few drinks anything begins to sound good to me! To sum up my weekend I would say it was both interesting and epic. I had a great time and can’t wait to explore more cities in Australia! Until next time loves! 
My amazing hotel view!

Miss Erykah Badu!

This guy was really trying to dance

Damian Marley

Nas!

LUDA!!


Front row baby!

1 comment: